AA Locums

Contact us

+44 (0) 208 099 6947

Working in the UK

The NHS is a huge egalitarian organisation and one of the world’s largest employers. Many doctors from overseas find the nature of the NHS quite different to the health care systems of their own countries, particularly those outside of the EU. The NHS operates in multi-disciplinary teams to deliver patient-centred healthcare; good communication and teamwork are key to the running of the NHS.
In the United Kingdom (UK) you must be registered with the General Medical Council (GMC) before being allowed to practice medicine. It is a GMC regulation that foreign doctors should
undertake the Professional and Linguistic Assessment Board (PLAB) before commencing any NHS jobs or practising as a doctor in the United Kingdom.
It is advisable to familiarise yourself with working practices, medical terminology and common illnesses and disease patterns in the UK. You will also need to gain an understanding not only of the English language, but also of local terminology and colloquial expressions which vary across the UK. Never be afraid to ask for clarification if you don’t know what something means.
For more information on coming to the UK as an oversees doctor, please click here or call us on
0208 099 6947
Holt Doctors Ltd

Part of Holt Doctors Ltd - listed on all the national supplier frameworks, a leading
provider of locum and permanant doctors to NHS Trusts and the private sector.